Working Horse World

Working Horse World
Search | Statistics Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | register )

OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 

The scaredy cat owner...
Moderators: crossspur, cindyt
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-10-23 3:21 PM
7 replies, 12193 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Working horse world -> The World of Working HorsesRefresh
Message format

Hola
Posted 2014-10-01 3:31 PM (#68117)
Subject: The scaredy cat owner...

Worked with one of those the other day... Made the lady cry even.

I didn't feel bad about it.
Owned this Draft cross gelding about four months and hasn't sat on him but once. The day she bought him from a low class dealer. For about $2500 too much. Green broke draft cross gelding, at least he wasn't too tall.

I get to this real nice boarding facility , nothing too fancy but nicer then most. The horse was supposed to be getting his hooves trimmed.
They couldn't catch him.
They blamed another trainer ,saying he was out a week prior and after he "worked" the horse the gelding suddenly ran off when they tried to catch him.
After a few hours there I managed to get it out of them that he was never easy to catch, just now he actually ran instead of walking away.

So I get setup in this little indoor arena, bigger then a round pen but small enough I could keep up with him well enough.
Started trotting him around and I notice something right away. He's been lunged to death.
Barely paying attention to me , just trots and trots hard.
I knew that it was going to be a long day at that point.
Nearly two hours later I've got him loped down enough that he's paying attention.
Still turning his ass to me to catch him but at an angle not directly on.
I get him haltered and on a long line to start teaching him to give to pressure and face up to me when stopped.
Man did that confuse him.
He sorta got there after a little bit, he did catch on pretty quick to disengaging his hind quarters at least.
Had to take a break and let the farrier deal with him.
He was good for that.
Back to square one once done , he caught some wind and was ready to roll.
Left his fat ass on the long line and was able to lope him out harder.
Got him to the point of being saddled , sat on him for a spell and walked around. Didn't have time for much else but I made the choice to hop off early and tossed the owner on him.
That was a bad choice.
They walked around alright while I led them. We turned and she dug her heels into him and he scooted around a little startled nearly tossing her off.
I got them both righted no thanks to her screaming and hollering.
Made her stay on till she settled down.
Showed her how to put him away without getting bullied.
The husband was elated that he finally saw her on the damn horse.

They paid me for my time and off I went. So far they haven't called me back , no surprise though.
I flat out told them the amount of work he needed they couldn't afford to pay me hourly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Louise
Posted 2014-10-01 5:41 PM (#68118 - in reply to #68117)
Subject: RE: The scaredy cat owner...

And that ladies and gents is why I quit working with other peoples horses, sell them to me, get off my property and I will happily work with them.

The last time I worked on someones horse(s) was the debacle that included in-law family and I ended up with cops and animal control involved.

Never again, now I buy a horse, work through any problems and put it up for sale to approved home only
Hola
Posted 2014-10-01 9:27 PM (#68119 - in reply to #68117)

He's a nice enough horse , but man did they get suckered.

I imagine the mutual contact is the reason they haven't called back. When I told her what happened she got pissy with me.
Hola
Posted 2014-10-13 7:00 PM (#68266 - in reply to #68117)

Big surprise ,I haven't heard anything from the owner.

Damn shame , the horse needs someone with a clue working it and clearly none of the parties involved do.
rodeo dc
Posted 2014-10-17 10:06 AM (#68340 - in reply to #68117)

Had a teenage mare brought to me last week to be worked with by the owner's farrier. Owner is an MD ( how I do not know) and it is her first horse. The horse is just a horse, trail riding, gravel road riding type. Owner couldnt catch it in a small pen in the barn. Not knowing any of this before I worked with her, didnt have any preformed ideas. The farrier told me the MD calls her ?The Farrier but has another guy who files her feet off.

Mare is kind of a dead head but not bad and was responsive to handling and respectful. Finished adjusting her and led her back to the trailer no problem. Seems the owner is scared of her because she is 15.2 or 15.3 and as wide as a rail fence, not skinny but not beefy. The farrier and husband rode her for a month and noticed nothhing in her behaviour or attitude that rang bells.

Owner bought a "good" saddle from horse seller that is a $50 saddle and paid 10x that for it. Dried out POS that pinches the shoulders. Owner knows NOTHING about horses other than what she learned from My little Pony garbage. Talking to her she doesnt even know what the basic equipment is called. Bridles and halters are interchangeable words etc.

Bottom line is nothing is wrong wit hthe horse, it is ALL on the owner who is too proud to learn to ride her horse.
Hola
Posted 2014-10-17 10:05 PM (#68365 - in reply to #68117)

That stuff ticks me off , how easy is it to just google simple questions!
rodeo dc
Posted 2014-10-23 10:44 AM (#68449 - in reply to #68117)

After the are done ticking me off, it makes me feel mighty smart dealing with those guys
Frenchie
Posted 2014-10-23 3:21 PM (#68454 - in reply to #68449)

Those type of things are tough.  The owner is likely frustrated/scared/embarrassed that things are at that point.

Its thin ice getting the point across without hurting their feelings when they are already on the offensive so its tough to be blunt enough to get the message through without them being upset.  Hopefully they get their stuff together.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

(Delete all cookies set by this site)