Working Horse World

Working Horse World
Search | Statistics Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | register )

OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 

Team Roping, Breakaway
Moderators: crossspur, cindyt
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-11-01 4:46 PM
1 replies, 8254 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Working horse world -> Working Horse EventsRefresh
Message format

Finally-Got-It
Posted 2011-09-17 11:41 PM (#63005)
Subject: Team Roping, Breakaway

Hello, new to the board. I got into the roping pen a little over a year ago on an older been there done that rope horse. I mainly stuck to heeling, and played around with heading. I haven't gotten in enough time to get out of the practice pen, and it's time for the old boy to be retired from riding. This summer I roped twice, once on my own gelding and once on the farm owners nice heeling mare.

I'm in a tight situation, still young and at home, working lots of hours, etc. With the been there done that rope horse retired, I'm now facing the fact I have to bring my green 7 year old into the roping pen. I call her green because she's had a lot of time off from injury and my lack of time, not quite where I'd expect a 7 year old horse to be. She's not bad, needs to be tuned up and get exposed to everything.

My choices are use her or don't rope. I don't think she'd hold up as a heading horse, and I've been told time and time again she'd be too tall for me to use as a heel horse. I'm considering breakaway roping as another option.

There's still plenty of time to think things over before she sees the roping pen. As it is I'm able to ride once a week, and season is just about over for me.

I guess what I'm looking for is what you would expect out of a horse before bringing them to the practice pen? What tells you that the horse won't make it for roping, be it team or breakaway?

There will be (much appreciated) help next year. I've stuck to the dummy for the most part of this year.

Now that I feel like I've been rambling on about nothing, I'll post. Hope to learn as much here as I possibly can :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rs640
Posted 2012-11-01 4:46 PM (#66012 - in reply to #63005)
Subject: RE: Team Roping, Breakaway

Just have fun on her.
IMO you can do both breakaway and heel on a horse.
Just set her up in the box different so she knows which one she is doing.

For Example: When breakaway roping, point her towards the chute so she knows to break close in behind the calf. When heeling, point her more toward the arena......parallel to the chute.

I saw you got no replies so I thought I might throw in my two cents. :)
There are people out there way more experienced than I and hopefully they will chime in for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

(Delete all cookies set by this site)