Working Horse World

Working Horse World
Search | Statistics Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | register )

OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 

Best Saddle Pad ??
Moderators: crossspur, cindyt
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-11-12 4:03 PM
36 replies, 16766 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Working horse world -> The World of Working HorsesRefresh
Message format

s_hafer
Posted 2011-01-11 4:53 PM (#59065)
Subject: Best Saddle Pad ??

just wondering what brands of saddle pads everyone uses ...... going to be buying one soon so I want to make sure I get the best one. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-11 5:41 PM (#59066 - in reply to #59065)
Subject: RE: Best Saddle Pad ??

Tod Slone 1" wool and the Diamond wool 1" and 3/4" are all we use.
runninroan
Posted 2011-01-11 5:53 PM (#59067 - in reply to #59065)

Agree on the Tod Slone pads. Great pads and hold up well also.
s_hafer
Posted 2011-01-11 6:02 PM (#59068 - in reply to #59066)

Tanquery man - 2011-01-11 5:41 PM

Tod Slone 1" wool and the Diamond wool 1" and 3/4" are all we use.

which diamond wool do you use ...there are a ton of them :) or does it matter does anyone have a preference for contoured or non ?
runninroan
Posted 2011-01-11 6:09 PM (#59069 - in reply to #59065)

I prefer contoured though I will use both.
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-11 7:44 PM (#59070 - in reply to #59065)

We bought a flat one at Atwoods A few years ago to try it out and really like them so we've got 3-4 we use a lot. I've never tried the contoured ones.

Edited by Tanquery man 2011-01-11 7:46 PM
slidinstop
Posted 2011-01-11 10:56 PM (#59076 - in reply to #59065)

Official Test Pilot

Schneider Performace Pads www.schneiderperformancepads.com My friend Darla makes them and I've been riding one for over a year and OMG am I scrapping the ESP pads. I've used the Impact Gels, Pro Choice, Form To Fit, Cutter Wool Collection, the list goes on. I am keeping my Ricotti pad which I love and is great for a colt that's really downhill but if they're close to level I use Darla's. I love it so much more than my ESP's that I'll saddle and unsaddle between horses, rather than saddle multiple and have to use something else. And I HATE not saddling everyone at once. I need to get a couple more as I only own the one at the moment. I'm talking Holy Grail pad here!!!
Palopony
Posted 2011-01-11 11:27 PM (#59079 - in reply to #59065)

I have always been a fan of Cutter Collection pads, but I bought an Impact Gel for my old horse with high withers I like pretty well.
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-12 7:31 AM (#59087 - in reply to #59065)

The Impact Gel in counter-intuitive to me. Yeah that gel is good padding, but with constant pressure on it the gel is gonna just move out of the way. 

I've used one my wife had. I'll stick with wool.

Edited by Tanquery man 2011-01-12 7:31 AM
cowboy bowhunter
Posted 2011-01-12 8:03 AM (#59089 - in reply to #59079)

Palopony - 2011-01-11 11:27 PM

I have always been a fan of Cutter Collection pads, but I bought an Impact Gel for my old horse with high withers I like pretty well.

I like the wool cutters collection pads.
Palopony
Posted 2011-01-12 8:39 AM (#59091 - in reply to #59087)

Tanquery man - 2011-01-12 7:31 AM The Impact Gel in counter-intuitive to me. Yeah that gel is good padding, but with constant pressure on it the gel is gonna just move out of the way. 

I've used one my wife had. I'll stick with wool.

I'm not convinced it's the best just yet, haven't used it much really.  However I have had fantastic luck with the Impact Gel hoof pads on this horse so I thought I would try the pad too.  My horse is flat footed and slightly navicular and they work great on him, so we will be gellin.
cajunreiner
Posted 2011-01-12 9:43 AM (#59095 - in reply to #59065)

I like my 1 inch contoured gel impact, I ride it the most, it's certainly held up to the abuse I put it thru.  But funny you say that palo....the one I use it on and find it helps the most is the high withered one...or I should say ones now, PJ and Sanman have very similar backs so PJ's been wearing it too.  The other horses I really don't notice a difference with it or without it. 

ETA: I think I should mention that my impact is the only one I have with a cut out wither so that might be why it works so well on the high withered critters.

I like wool felt pads in general, I have several that are old enough I couldn't begin to tell you what brand they are (they've held up really really well though I'm probably reaching the end of their life soon) and you can't find them like that in the tack stores around here anymore, I've been looking so the suggestions are all of use to me too.  I hate buying something like this online.  I noticed on the Diamond wool site some of them have fleece bottom ones, I avoid those.  Fleece is a PITA on a saddle pad to me. It rolls around way too much. 

Once upon a time I had tried a fleece covered girth on a gelding that was rubbing a little and I was spinning after I had been riding awhile (girth was just a tad loose as it always gets after you ride for a bit) and I dang near slid right off saddle and all
when I stopped hard. I had to literally yank the saddle back in place.  Good thing I had alot of balance back then.  I dunno if I could say the same now

so fleece is mostly just a no for me, lol.  I really like felt girths too :D but the only ones you can find nowadays are the smart cinch ones and though I use it I'm not wild about that buckle.

Edited by cajunreiner 2011-01-12 10:01 AM
dkcowchasr
Posted 2011-01-12 9:49 AM (#59096 - in reply to #59065)

I loved my impact gel pad BUT only the one with the navajo/wool top and the felt bottom. I did not like the ones with the wool bottom or the all felt ones. Also remember that a saddle pad does not make up for poor saddle fit so start with your saddle fit and then find a pad that suits your saddle and horses needs. JM2C

Edited by dkcowchasr 2011-01-12 9:55 AM
clampitt
Posted 2011-01-12 9:56 AM (#59097 - in reply to #59065)

Cowboys aren't terrorists

I have some old thick wool felt pads I bet they are over 25yrs old.And some Navajos.Old too.
Still use them.The felt pads edges are worn down to a sharp edge.The wear leathers are all gone.
They still work.Navajos dont wear out like ya think.
Pads are important but saddle fit is just as important.
I quit riding barrel horses in most barrel saddles and went back to my roping saddles they set down on a horses back.Most barrel saddles set too high.Pressure was causeing problems with the horse.
The Martha Wright barrel saddles are made on a mod Toots Mansfield tree.Designed to set down on a horses back.Those we use to run in.I have one I won that fits like that C&C never heard of it But it sets down like a Wright

Same deal with most of the prod line Cutters and reiners they dont set down on a horses back.Like a roping saddle does.Seen too many of them and had a few didnt like the fit or the ride.
Put the saddle in the place it is supposed to go.The hollow of the horses back.Not up on their shoulder.Solve a lot of problems.
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-12 9:59 AM (#59098 - in reply to #59065)

I use a fleece cinch on my colts and used to have to cut one in half because of that. But I seemed to gall quite a few before that so I keep using the fleece on colts. Sometimes I get lazy and just move it down on horses Im just going to lope and handle and not rope anything or work cattle.
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-12 10:02 AM (#59099 - in reply to #59097)

clampitt - 2011-01-12 9:56 AM I have some old thick wool felt pads I bet they are over 25yrs old.And some Navajos.Old too.
Still use them.The felt pads edges are worn down to a sharp edge.The wear leathers are all gone.
They still work.Navajos dont wear out like ya think.
Pads are important but saddle fit is just as important.
I quit riding barrel horses in most barrel saddles and went back to my roping saddles they set down on a horses back.Most barrel saddles set too high.Pressure was causeing problems with the horse.
The Martha Wright barrel saddles are made on a mod Toots Mansfield tree.Designed to set down on a horses back.Those we use to run in.I have one I won that fits like that C&C never heard of it But it sets down like a Wright

Same deal with most of the prod line Cutters and reiners they dont set down on a horses back.Like a roping saddle does.Seen too many of them and had a few didnt like the fit or the ride.
Put the saddle in the place it is supposed to go.The hollow of the horses back.Not up on their shoulder.Solve a lot of problems.

I put my concho behind that shoulder and get by a lot of them that way. You also got to look at where your dee is compared to the horn. It should set right underneath the horn and not behind it like a lot of barrel saddles are. 

Edited by Tanquery man 2011-01-12 10:03 AM
cajunreiner
Posted 2011-01-12 10:04 AM (#59100 - in reply to #59098)

Tanquery man - 2011-01-12 9:59 AM I use a fleece cinch on my colts and used to have to cut one in half because of that. But I seemed to gall quite a few before that so I keep using the fleece on colts. Sometimes I get lazy and just move it down on horses Im just going to lope and handle and not rope anything or work cattle.

Try a felt one Tanq, really you won't have to tighten near as much...I find the neoprene galls them and the rope ones pinch.  I really really like a felt one but like I said only ones that seem to make 'em nowadays is the smart cinch people.  If I could get rid of the buckle I'd be happy with 'em.
dkcowchasr
Posted 2011-01-12 10:17 AM (#59101 - in reply to #59100)

cajunreiner - 2011-01-12 10:04 AM

Tanquery man - 2011-01-12 9:59 AM I use a fleece cinch on my colts and used to have to cut one in half because of that. But I seemed to gall quite a few before that so I keep using the fleece on colts. Sometimes I get lazy and just move it down on horses Im just going to lope and handle and not rope anything or work cattle.

Try a felt one Tanq, really you won't have to tighten near as much...I find the neoprene galls them and the rope ones pinch.  I really really like a felt one but like I said only ones that seem to make 'em nowadays is the smart cinch people.  If I could get rid of the buckle I'd be happy with 'em.

I started using the alpaca cinches and really liked them they are pricey but they held up really good and didnt gall.

I am with Cajun I liked the felt smart cinches but HATED the buckle.
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-12 10:56 AM (#59102 - in reply to #59065)

Why don't yall like the buckle?
LuvmyQH
Posted 2011-01-12 11:12 AM (#59109 - in reply to #59100)

I've used a number of expensive saddle pads and for the price Diamond Wook Sagebrush Saddle Pads are the best. They're durable, $70-$80 and when my horse is sweaty, his back isn't! They really are a good durable pad. And I didn't have to "break it in". Put it on and away we went. Had it on him for 4-5 hrs to start and did not sore his back. Smx and Cuttersare the same but a lot more expensive. Had to break in the Impact Gels but kept going back to Diamond pads..............
Good luck in your search.
cajunreiner
Posted 2011-01-12 11:13 AM (#59111 - in reply to #59102)

Tanquery man - 2011-01-12 10:56 AM Why don't yall like the buckle?

The tab's or tongue or whatever that's called is too short, it's not as secure.  if you wanna rig 'em up the old fashion way then I guess it's all fine and dandy? but then that defeats the purpose of having the buckle.  I think you can get the same amount of torque out of a plain buckle with a roller as you get with the smart cinch.  I guess it has a purpose for people that are weak but I've never had a problem tightening my cinch to need what this is supposed to help.
dkcowchasr
Posted 2011-01-12 11:17 AM (#59115 - in reply to #59111)

cajunreiner - 2011-01-12 11:13 AM

Tanquery man - 2011-01-12 10:56 AM Why don't yall like the buckle?

The tab's or tongue or whatever that's called is too short, it's not as secure.  if you wanna rig 'em up the old fashion way then I guess it's all fine and dandy? but then that defeats the purpose of having the buckle.  I think you can get the same amount of torque out of a plain buckle with a roller as you get with the smart cinch.  I guess it has a purpose for people that are weak but I've never had a problem tightening my cinch to need what this is supposed to help.

Same issue for me to but I also found that the cinch strap seemed to slide to one side or the other and then the buckle would hang at an angle I just found the buckle to be an over all PITA :)

Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-12 11:21 AM (#59118 - in reply to #59065)

gotcha. Prof. Choice make a felt cinch too....just saying.
cajunreiner
Posted 2011-01-12 11:24 AM (#59122 - in reply to #59118)

Tanquery man - 2011-01-12 11:21 AM gotcha. Prof. Choice make a felt cinch too....just saying.

Then that's gotta be new at least since I bought mine...when I bought the smart cinch I looked high and low, I had even asked here if anyone knew of a felt girth WITHOUT the smart cinch buckle.

Off to look at the pro choice ones...I do need a new one, lol....ok back...only comes in grey :( but new for 2010...maybe they'll put a straight black one out...

Edited by cajunreiner 2011-01-12 11:28 AM
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-01-12 11:35 AM (#59126 - in reply to #59065)

who cares? You can't see it under your horse when you're on his back.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

(Delete all cookies set by this site)