Working Horse World

Working Horse World
Search | Statistics Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | register )

OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 

Cowboy Tack....
Moderators: crossspur, cindyt
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-15 4:38 PM
34 replies, 25319 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Working horse world -> The World of Working HorsesRefresh
Message format

Tanquery man
Posted 2011-08-16 4:25 PM (#62560 - in reply to #55122)
Subject: RE: Cowboy Tack....

I like the look of the Boyd Rice Bob's. I'd like to see how it rides.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnDeereGreen
Posted 2011-08-16 10:11 PM (#62564 - in reply to #55122)

I guess I'm going to find out first hand about the Leddy's Cowboy Tack. I ordered one that I found online (the reason for my earlier post). I think the price is. Good enough that I won't get hurt too bad if it ends up not being for me.

I would have loved to get a Coats, a Calvin Allen, or a Wendy Allen, but this one was about $1000 less than I could find one of those for. I'll give it a try and see. I'll try to post a review after a couple of rides and working sme cows. My current saddle is sort of an all around type and it pitches me forward a bit in the stops. I'm hoping this Leddy's Cowboy Tack will be better that way. I'll lyet you know.
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 10:23 PM (#62565 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

I think a lot of the bigger name saddles are hit or miss when there's a shop full of guys building them no two ppl are going to craft something the same.

Back in 91 my now ex-MIL purchased a Dale Chavez cowhorse saddle at SBF, top grain leather, it later was gifted to me (didn't get custody of it in the divorce, but that's another thread) and I'd still be riding it today if in my possession. Bought a used one hated it sent it back to the tack shop to sell on consignment. I called up DC and ordered a new one, they had one cowhorse tree left as they quit making them and do reining and pleasure saddles mostly, and they custom built me a saddle that I rode once and IT SUCKED. So sent it back and they built me a second saddle. Which I liked ok, but Norman and Rhubarb hated it. So it sat in the tackrroom for most of the four years I owned it as I had access to other saddles.

Next to the GB saddle my favorite padded seat cutter was a H&H. It was a trophy saddle my landlord had won years and years before. I tried researching them but came up with very little at the time. I've seen them come up on Cow Horse Saddlery from time to time but those freaking robber barons want too much money for everything on their site.
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 10:32 PM (#62566 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

Keep us posted on whether it's a hit or miss!

I have nothing bad to say about my Martin Cowhorse either. I think I've had it almost five years now. Love love love the adjustable rigging. Marty B said if theyd sell me just the rigging out right he'd put them in the next saddle he builds for me. Cuz now I don't think I can go without having having one in a saddle.
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 10:37 PM (#62567 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

Make that Cow Dog Saddles not Cow Horse...
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-08-17 9:08 AM (#62573 - in reply to #55122)

I know who you meant when you said robber barons. They think the seats are stitched with 24kt gold thread and it kisses your ass as you ride. Or at least they price them like they do.
Wife rode a couple of Martin barrel saddles at a big show in Waco, liked em but didn't fit ant different than a Cecil that she already owns. Said shed like to have that adjustable riggin.
My cheapo SRS gets compliments everywhere I go and has never sored one up. Paid $100 after trading in a Teskeys ranch cutter that was wore slick, 5 years ago. Had colts flip over in it, run it through the brush, water....can't kill it. I reckon I'm stuck with it a while.
runninroan
Posted 2011-08-17 9:46 AM (#62579 - in reply to #62573)

Tanquery man - 2011-08-17 9:08 AM

I know who you meant when you said robber barons. They think the seats are stitched with 24kt gold thread and it kisses your ass as you ride. Or at least they price them like they do.
Wife rode a couple of Martin barrel saddles at a big show in Waco, liked em but didn't fit ant different than a Cecil that she already owns. Said shed like to have that adjustable riggin.
My cheapo SRS gets compliments everywhere I go and has never sored one up. Paid $100 after trading in a Teskeys ranch cutter that was wore slick, 5 years ago. Had colts flip over in it, run it through the brush, water....can't kill it. I reckon I'm stuck with it a while.

Funny you say that about SRS saddles. Know of several and the people that own them are pretty amazed that they picked them up so cheap and they have ended up being really great saddles.
Same thing with Frontier saddles made by Moe Poor in Flat Rock Alabama. I had 4 of his saddles. 2 of mine were custom made and all have been awesome saddles. Fit a wide range of horses, won't sore them, and were all less than $1000.00. I only have one right now and it's a 1989 Peggy Reiter I found online that I dearly love! I don't like all of his saddles but for the most part, I have loved the ones I have owned and most that I have seen.
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-17 2:54 PM (#62615 - in reply to #62573)

Official Test Pilot

Tanquery man - 2011-08-17 9:08 AM I know who you meant when you said robber barons. They think the seats are stitched with 24kt gold thread and it kisses your ass as you ride. Or at least they price them like they do.

JohnDeereGreen
Posted 2015-04-10 11:51 AM (#69025 - in reply to #62564)

JohnDeereGreen - 2011-08-16 9:11 PM

I guess I'm going to find out first hand about the Leddy's Cowboy Tack. I ordered one that I found online (the reason for my earlier post). I think the price is. Good enough that I won't get hurt too bad if it ends up not being for me.

I would have loved to get a Coats, a Calvin Allen, or a Wendy Allen, but this one was about $1000 less than I could find one of those for. I'll give it a try and see. I'll try to post a review after a couple of rides and working sme cows. My current saddle is sort of an all around type and it pitches me forward a bit in the stops. I'm hoping this Leddy's Cowboy Tack will be better that way. I'll lyet you know.

I kind of stumbled onto this thread and read the quoted post and thought, "Man, his story sounds a lot like mine. I wonder why he didn't ever come back and give a review of his saddle." It was seriously several minutes before it clicked in my mind that "he" was me!

So . . . 4 1/2 years later, I'm quite happy with my Leddy's Cowboy Tack saddle. For the last few weeks I have been riding my trainer's Coats saddle. I was back in my Leddy's Cowboy Tack saddle this morning and it is every bit as comfortable and, for me at least, seems to help me sit in a better position than the Coats. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over the long run, but I would say that if a person gets a chance to pick one up and the price is right, don't hesitate.
Tanquery man
Posted 2015-04-15 4:38 PM (#69031 - in reply to #69025)

Great that it worked out.
I just bought a finished cutter and I've been looking at saddles for ages. I had a lead on a "dennis" CT cutter with the Muir and McDonald leather. The lady wanted too much dough but man I'd like to have that saddle. I bought a used 16" Jeff Smith loop seat and I really like it. I might be going to a 17" cause I have long arms and legs and need a little more room for sitting a stop and locking my elbow in.
The guy earlier in this thread that said CT was back in business turned into a really good friend of mine over the last few years. He built me a team roper and I could not have been happier. Best built, best everything I've ever had buying a saddle. Really taught me a lot about saddles and saddle building and the business side of it as well.

Edited by Tanquery man 2015-04-15 4:41 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

(Delete all cookies set by this site)