Working Horse World

Working Horse World
Search | Statistics Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | register )

OTHER FORUMS:    Horse Trailers  -   Barrel Horses   -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 

Cowboy Tack....
Moderators: crossspur, cindyt
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-15 4:38 PM
34 replies, 25318 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Working horse world -> The World of Working HorsesRefresh
Message format

runninroan
Posted 2010-08-05 3:48 PM (#55122)
Subject: Cowboy Tack....

Is Cowboy Tack in Weatherford, TX still in business?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
clampitt
Posted 2010-08-05 8:18 PM (#55124 - in reply to #55122)
Subject: RE: Cowboy Tack....

Cowboys aren't terrorists

I do believe so.
cpcutter02
Posted 2010-08-09 2:31 PM (#55190 - in reply to #55122)

i think it is called dm tack now some sold at davids western store their is also another outfit that we get tack from wich is cow horse supply out of springtown texas good tack a bit price but good quaility
Tanquery man
Posted 2010-08-09 3:32 PM (#55191 - in reply to #55122)

This is Dennis' site now. He owned Cowboy Tack before Leddy's (puke) bought them...

http://www.dmtack.com/shop/
Tanquery man
Posted 2010-08-09 3:42 PM (#55193 - in reply to #55190)

cpcutter02 - 2010-08-09 2:31 PM i think it is called dm tack now some sold at davids western store their is also another outfit that we get tack from wich is cow horse supply out of springtown texas good tack a bit price but good quaility

DM is good stuff. CHS is high end trainer-type gear that most guys don't need or wouldn't know when or how to begin to use. But they do have nice bits...
runninroan
Posted 2010-08-09 4:34 PM (#55195 - in reply to #55122)

Thanks. I had heard they went out of business. I like DM tack too. Very nice stuff.
Tanquery man
Posted 2010-08-09 5:06 PM (#55196 - in reply to #55122)

It's the same stuff, just a different maker's stamp. leddy's bought the name and discontinued the Cowboy Tack line a year later. Dennis was making better stuff for less than leddy's and taking business from them so they bought him out and had him sign a no compete document.

That's the story I got anyways.
runninroan
Posted 2010-08-09 5:39 PM (#55198 - in reply to #55122)

Got'cha! Thanks...
crossspur
Posted 2010-08-10 11:00 AM (#55213 - in reply to #55122)

Roan Wonder

Have you ever look at Big Bend Saddlery & Brighten Saddlery stuff?

If you have never been  you should make trip to Brighten Saddlery when they have their big saddle sale every year it is quite an event

Tanquery man
Posted 2010-08-10 11:37 AM (#55214 - in reply to #55122)

I've been to Colorado during Greeley and Brighton Feed has what seems like hundreds of saddles out there. New, used, consignments....and a ton of people.

Never been to Big Bend Saddlery but it's gotten a bit of my business and the ladies on the phone are nice as can be.

Edited by Tanquery man 2010-08-10 11:39 AM
crossspur
Posted 2010-08-10 12:14 PM (#55216 - in reply to #55214)

Roan Wonder

Tanquery man - 2010-08-10 11:37 AM I've been to Colorado during Greeley and Brighton Feed has what seems like hundreds of saddles out there. New, used, consignments....and a ton of people.

Never been to Big Bend Saddlery but it's gotten a bit of my business and the ladies on the phone are nice as can be.

It is a big deal & fun at Brighton. There are hundreds of saddles it is good place to get a good deal if you are looking for saddle. There are so many companies there together it's a good place to try different one & see what you like best

We order a lot of stuff from Big Bend & we have always been very satified. We order all of Leslie's ropes from there because he uses ranch ropes & you can't find them many places  
Cowboy Tack
Posted 2010-08-12 12:15 PM (#55253 - in reply to #55216)

Good morning guys.... Cowboy Tack is back in business. New owners and new management. We build for alot of the top makers in the country. If interested in any of our products. Give me a call at 479-353-6810 or email us at Cowboytack@ymail.com. We have started advertising on Ebay with a select amount of products. Our store there is Cowboytackonline. We will continue to build the highest quality products on the market.
runninroan
Posted 2010-08-12 12:23 PM (#55254 - in reply to #55122)

Thank you!!! I will check out your products!
Tanquery man
Posted 2010-08-12 12:29 PM (#55255 - in reply to #55253)

Cowboy Tack - 2010-08-12 12:15 PM Good morning guys.... Cowboy Tack is back in business. New owners and new management. We build for alot of the top makers in the country. If interested in any of our products. Give me a call at 479-353-6810 or email us at Cowboytack@ymail.com. We have started advertising on Ebay with a select amount of products. Our store there is Cowboytackonline. We will continue to build the highest quality products on the market.

So give us the lowdown....how come Cowboy Tack is back in business?

479-353 is a Ft Smith phone number...I'm pretty sure Dennis isn't in Arkansas.
Cowboy Tack
Posted 2010-08-12 8:50 PM (#55261 - in reply to #55255)

Dennis is one of many owners in the history of Cowboy Tack. This name started many years ago long before Dennis. At this time, we build most of Dennis' line. We also build for many other major companies who take our products and attach their stamp. (common practice in this industry)

You are correct in the phone number. I am a partner in Cowboy Tack and live outside Fort Smith, Ar. Your invited down to see the products at any time and tour our breeding and training facility in Uniontown, Ar.

Any questions give me a call....

Eddie Dunn
479-353-6810
Cowboytack@ymail.com
JohnDeereGreen
Posted 2011-08-16 1:00 AM (#62540 - in reply to #55191)

Tanquery man - 2010-08-09 2:32 PM

This is Dennis' site now. He owned Cowboy Tack before Leddy's (puke) bought them...

http://www.dmtack.com/shop/

I know this is an old thread, and I hope you'll all forgive me for reviving it. I'm curious about the "puke" reference after Leddy's name. Is that out of frustration that they killed the Cowboy Tack line, or is it an indication of an opinion that Leddy's produces inferior tack?

Along this line, does anyone have any experience with Leddy's Cowboy Tack, and their saddles in particular?

When Dennis Moreland was at Cowboy Tack, he didn't make saddles (at least that's what he told me on the phone last week). When Leddy's took over, they went to making saddles. I'm interested what everyone thinks of those saddles.

Thanks,
runninroan
Posted 2011-08-16 6:57 AM (#62542 - in reply to #55122)

I am no expert but I have had 2 Leddy's saddles and both were exellent quality. Both are still in use. It is a cutter that is 30 years old and is as tight and rides as well as it did when first made. I no longer own it, sold it like an idiot, but know where the saddle is and that they still use and love it. I do have a saddle that I bought last year, used, that is stamped "Leddys, Cowboy Tack" and it is a great saddle. No corners were cut in it's craftsmanship and it is a good riding saddle and fits my horses well.
Everything I have ever seen that had the Leddy name on it was well made. Like I said, I am no expert but I love good leather tack and always have. I hate tack that is made second rate and try, when my pocketbook allows, to buy the nice stuff.
I also love DM tack. Always have. His stuff is the real deal! When I find something used made by Dennis, I snap it up!! His products stand the test of time!

Edited by runninroan 2011-08-16 7:16 AM
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 8:39 AM (#62545 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

My romal reins, which I've had 13+?? years came from Cowboy tack and were a year or two old when they were given to me. Still going strong and Steve Guitron when he made repairs to them some years ago commented on the quality. No idea who actually built them. But they've withstood the stand of time and get complements on their weight/feel to this day. Id have to go count to be sure but If memory serves they're 12plait.

I've purchased several things from CHS that don't exsist anywhere else in the industry and I felt their prices were in line with other makers. Tho I wouldn't buy any of their leather goods which they are really high on, though comparable to the other big names that show up to the cutting here in OKC. However I cannot tell the difference between my $120 split reins and my $50 pairs (which I love).

I looked long and hard at a DM bit the last time I bought anything from CHS. But as there was no difference between it and the CHS bit other than price, I bought the CHS one and love it.
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 8:42 AM (#62546 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

The repair was replacing a hobble strap that busted when Normy stepped on them with his petite size 3's :/
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-08-16 11:13 AM (#62553 - in reply to #55122)

I put the puke in there. I've ridden a few leddys cutters and never like the ground seats in any of them. Felt like they were tryin to push me forward and one I thought was gonna bruise my pelvis in the nether regions. Them and the other big name in FTW cutting saddles are cut, stamped, and sewed south of the border and the parts are put together here so they can say "Made in the USA". If you want a made in America saddle then go get a Larry Coats or the ol boy down on this side of the Red River....Slidey's favorite. Ol' what's-his-name down there....
texascowgirl319
Posted 2011-08-16 11:26 AM (#62554 - in reply to #55122)

I've got a used Leddys cutter and a used Oliver cutter and I prefer the Oliver over the Leddys. It's just more comfortable. My hubby rides the Leddys but I think that's because I won't let him ride the Oliver. ;)

But on the other subject of good tack. I will only buy the good thick leather either from Cowboy Tack (which I can no longer find around here) or the hand made stuff at Olivers.  It may cost more but it lasts for ever. And I will not WILL NOT buy anything with screws. I can do rivets but NO screws. 

Edited by texascowgirl319 2011-08-16 11:31 AM
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 1:59 PM (#62556 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

Marty Bird? He does build some really nice saddles. Have had no complaints with the ones I've ridden/ride.

I tell you the BEST cutting saddle I ever planted my ass in is a hardseat Gene Bader. Like buttah! I tried really hard to make off with it when I moved back here from CA.

I haven't ridden one of Marty's hardseats but the ones they were building in his shop last I was there looked good.

Calvin Allen builds an uber nice saddle. Also their handmade mohair cinches are unrivaled IMO.
Tanquery man
Posted 2011-08-16 2:10 PM (#62557 - in reply to #55122)

Yeah Marty Byrd. I couldn't think of his name in that 15 seconds. Real good made cack.

You know, the guy we used to work for was/is good friends with Cecil Phillips. He said he'd go see him in his shop and he'd be flinging one together and saying it was going to CA. One that was staying in NW Ark he'd do a better job on. But you can't tell them girls in CA that, they swear by them damn Cecils out there. All my wife owned for 10 yrs now has been Cecils. Not Shilohs.

Edited by Tanquery man 2011-08-16 2:15 PM
slidinstop
Posted 2011-08-16 2:52 PM (#62558 - in reply to #55122)

Official Test Pilot

A saddle you couldn't give me is a Bob's Custom. But a bunch of the reiners ride them and they sponsor the NRCHA. Whole lot of cowhorse guys that won them as trophy saddles don't like them as they make all their horses sore in the back. So IDK if the quality level is different in the custom built ones or not. They do seem different than before they were uber big in name. My friend has some older ones from back in the day. Back when you could get one built out of top grain instead of belly.

Sort of like an original Roohide versus the overpriced crap they are now.
dkcowchasr
Posted 2011-08-16 4:07 PM (#62559 - in reply to #62558)

slidinstop - 2011-08-16 2:52 PM

A saddle you couldn't give me is a Bob's Custom.

Amen to that I rode a couple different Bob's when I went and rode with the boys in MO and they where awful!!! I also rode and old ROO and it was awesome but I rode a new one and I agree with Slidey it was not the same not even close!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

(Delete all cookies set by this site)